How to Get Here
Flying to Steamboat or Denver
The best way to get to Steamboat is through either flying into Denver International (DEN), 185 miles from the school, or using the Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) in Hayden, just 25 minutes from Steamboat. Service in Hayden increases during the ski season, with non-stops from Atlanta, Chicago, Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston, and Newark; other major hubs are just one stop away.
Rental cars are available at each of these airports and Alpine Taxi provides comfortable and convenient shuttle service. You can reach Alpine Taxi at http://www.goalpine.com. Please note that directions from mapquest and other services are not always reliable. Also, be careful not to mistake The Lowell Whiteman School with the Lowell Whiteman Primary School, which is on Oak Street in town. Here is a link to a map.
Driving to Steamboat from Denver--for directions, use the address 42605 County Rd. 36, Steamboat Springs, CO
1) I-70 West out of Denver toward Grand Junction
2) Exit at Silverthorne/Dillon (exit 205) – take Hwy 9 North for 37 miles to Kremmling. Turn left onto Hwy 40 West for 55 miles, over Rabbit Ears Pass and down into Steamboat Springs. Hwy 40 becomes Lincoln Avenue, the main street through town.
3) Turn right/north (away from the river) at 3rd Street, (note Post Office on corner). The school is 4.6 miles from this intersection.
- Turn right at the next stop sign, Fish Creek Falls Road.
- Continue up the hill and turn left on Amethyst Drive. Please note the 25 MPH speed in town.
- Follow Amethyst as it winds around the hill and past the public schools on the left. Amethyst Drive will become County Road 36/Strawberry Park Road. Follow this road for 4 miles. The speed limit is 35 MPH all along County Road 36, and it is well-patrolled. Pass Perry-Mansfield Dance/Theater camp on the left.
- Look for the LWS sign on the left. You will see rustic buildings and the main building, The Charley Williams Lodge, is flying the American flag. The Administrative offices are in this building, Admissions is just to the right of the Lodge.